No stopcock in flat

Reaction score
Hi

I need some advice.

I need to to replace a mixer tap in the bath. However, the cold water is fed from a watertank in the building I live in and there is no stopcock in the flat anywhere. Doing it live is not an option. Is there any way of putting a valve on a live 22mm pipe? So far the only option seems to be draining the entire building down and that is not a cost effective option. I can stop the hot water no problem but the cold has no way of being stopped, seemingly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
There is an easy way if you have reasonable access to the cold tank we often use bungs made from rubber, cone shaped just put your arm in the tank and shove the bung into the cold water outlet pipe.
You can buy bung kits from plumbers merchants but for a one off you could probably utilize something else to fit.

http://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/wcms/000/000/295/581501-256.jpg

Pete

Reaction score
Hi there you could use some sort of bung in the main tank or you can ask the landlord or maintenance company where there is a stop tap to your flat.You could also use a freezing kit which freezes the water in the pipe for long enough for you to cut in a new stop tap into your pipework in your flat.Tip..either use a pushfit stop tap,it is easier to push on to pipe than to tighten up a compression fitting or to solder,or use a compression stoptap tightened onto a piece if pipe and connect it to the old pipework with a 22mm pushfit socket.
Hope this helps

Jay

Ask a Question