Floating wall over cracked hallway arch in Art Deco flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to attempt to repair some recurring damage and would appreciate some guidance, please.

Setting the scene:
I have a long hallway in a 1930's property. There are two 'arches' (squared not rounded) at either end. The first one is suffering from a crack that runs right across it (up, over, down) - I've been told it 'just is' (i.e. nothing management will/need to fix structurally). The crack, if you were to strip back to the breeze blocks, opens up to a 1-2 cm's in parts.

Approach/or not:
Now, I could scrape it out, fill it (tape/mesh it?) and repair it that way but my concern is it will just come back in 6 months (this crack actually goes from one side of the building to the other, right through our Kitchen - which also needs repair but this post may guide how I address that one...)

Is the 'traditional' approach the best? or could some sort of 'floating box' be placed around the arch, structurally isolated from the arch itself so as the original wall below expands/contracts - the box does not? Would this be considered terrible practice?

If not, how would I go about it to produce a nice result that does not extend out too far from the original wall-edge or look tacky? MDF box, plasterboard attached, finished on top? or something else?

Much appreciated any help here! If you could provide a rough step-by-step for either route that would be great as I am rather new to these larger jobs.

Ask a Question