Building stud wall on a floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to build a partition stud wall that will include an internal door in our garage conversion. When the garage was converted the space was split into two rooms (a lounge and a utility room). The stud wall that separates these two rooms was created before the floating floor was installed so is sitting on the concrete garage base (on top of the dpm). The conversion was completed about 8 years ago and we are looking to separate the lounge room with a stud wall.The floating flooring is made up of the old garage concrete base covered with a dpm with Celotex insulation boards and finished with 22mm chipboard floor.

My question is can I build the stud wall directly onto the chipboard flooring or do I need to cut out the chipboard and insulation so that I can fix the floor plate directly to the garage concrete base?

Reaction score
Isn't what you are building more a "partition?"

It's not going to carry any real weight is it?

I'd build it of 3" X 2" scant or whatever, with plasterboard, with some insulation to cut down the noise.

just screw it to the chipboard flooring in a few places.

Ask a Question