Need help/advice on building a large portable winch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to preface this by saying I am new to mechanics and building stuff in general, so some of this could be completely wrong and a terrible idea, and If it is, please let me know…I’m inexperienced, and trying to teach myself this kind of stuff, so criticism is welcomed as is better ideas; also my budget is super tight so I’m trying to build this with stuff I already have at the house/ stuff I can get pretty cheap…and I have a ton of junk laying around.

So heres my game plan so far. I have a large Gearbox I plan to use, and a 6hp Predator Motor that will be running the winch. Still on the fence as to whether I will be using a pulley & belt or roller chain and sprockets. I want this winch to be mounted on its own little “trailer” that I can pull into the woods behind my gas powered golf cart. When I’m ready to start winchin’ I plan to unhook from the golf cart, and chain it off to the nearest two large trees. I have a mounting base that I plan to use. (It’s actually the support from an old 10hp compressor). I need to put an axle or 2 axles under it, but I need to be able to lift the wheels up somehow, and let the steel frame sit directly on the ground because I’m sure tires would bust from the pressure. I have a bunch of axles at my disposal, off of trailers, lawn mowers, four wheelers and other vehicles. I plan on welding 2 flywheels to the side of this yellow pole as the drum. (I will cut the pole shorter) Let me know if you see any better ideas, or if you have any input at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Here are some photos of the stuff I have already
AC2E85C7-BF1A-4B7E-B47D-48F3943562D3.jpeg
. Thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a large Gearbox
Before you start, I would open the gearbox's side screws and ensure that neither of the rack nor pinion gear/teeth are chipped off. Replace the oil.
a 6hp Predator Motor
Is this the pictured gasoline engine? If so, you'll need a centrifugal clutch on it.
pulley & belt or roller chain and sprockets
Belt/pulley for high speed (relatively speaking) applications (+1200rpm)
Roller Chain / Sprockets for slow (shock load, mass in motion) speed application.
From your pictures, you have two (2) gearboxes mounted in series with each other, and the primary rack gear input is already on a sheave, so I'd go with a V-belt back to the prime mover (6hp motor/engine?).

Otherwise, if you have welding abilities, it seems you can likely figure this out. But I would totally check that transmission (gearbox). You can even put a load on the output shaft, and manually turn the input shaft (at the existing pulley). You will have to manually turn the pulley A LOT of times, but it might be worth it. If you feel at any point during the entire 360deg rotation of the output shaft you get a stalling, slipping, grinding or intermittent jamming....you got problems inside the transmission.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Before you start, I would open the gearbox's side screws and ensure that neither of the rack nor pinion gear/teeth are chipped off. Replace the oil.

Is this the pictured gasoline engine? If so, you'll need a centrifugal clutch on it.

Belt/pulley for high speed (relatively speaking) applications (+1200rpm)
Roller Chain / Sprockets for slow (shock load, mass in motion) speed application.
From your pictures, you have two (2) gearboxes mounted in series with each other, and the primary rack gear input is already on a sheave, so I'd go with a V-belt back to the prime mover (6hp motor/engine?).

Otherwise, if you have welding abilities, it seems you can likely figure this out. But I would totally check that transmission (gearbox). You can even put a load on the output shaft, and manually turn the input shaft (at the existing pulley). You will have to manually turn the pulley A LOT of times, but it might be worth it. If you feel at any point during the entire 360deg rotation of the output shaft you get a stalling, slipping, grinding or intermittent jamming....you got problems inside the transmission.
So I turned it by hand, and it took 360 turns to turn the main shaft 1 full revolution….

Reaction score
Country
Canada
360?....Ok, well, you may not need the clutch then. At that high of a gear ratio, your engine/motor will be starting with negligible load.

Ask a Question