General advice on building and decorating alcove shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm very inexperienced with DIY/self-build stuff, this would be the first thing I've done really - so looking for overview advice on what to learn and a list of actions.

I've stripped out some old built-in wooden cupboard and shelving that were in the wall alcove of a bedroom. I'm planning on redecorating and building some in-built floating shelves to replace them.

This is in an old property, converted Victorian terrace. As you can see in the pictures, the wall/plaster has crumbled at the top right of the alcove when I was taking out the old stuff. There is a gap in the carpet where the cupboards were.

I think I have a decent idea of how to actually build the shelves, mainly from this video:

My questions are:

- Should I redecorate the alcove first? I.e. strip wallpaper and paint? Or better to do that after the shelves are built?

- How easy is it to patch up the missing bit of carpet - guessing I'd need to cut out the rest of it and re-do the entire area under the alcove? I may just get someone to do this for me. Guessing I should do this before building/decorating anything else?

- Best way/filler product to patch up the crumbled bit at the top right?

- When installing the shelves - one side of the alcove (left) is lightweight partition - the other sides feel and look like masonry. Do I need to make sure I'm drilling into a stud when installing anything? This will dictate the number and location of shelves, right? Unless I just mount it on the other two (masonry) sides?

- Otherwise basically, if you're an experienced handyman, could you give me a list of actions here that you'd outline to get this done?

Many thanks for reading and for any help.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Ask a Question