Block of Flats: Vulnerable Drive Through Wall?

Reaction score
Property Description: A small 1960s (1968) purpose built block of flats with concrete floors and flat roof. 15 flats, 4 floors (G, 1, 2, 3), 8 flats on the left (4 front / 4 rear), 7 flats on the right (3 front / 3 rear / 1 front to rear), all running left to right, apart from one that runs front to rear due to the drive through. The drive through is on the far right of the block with 6 flats partially above (living rooms) and 1 flat running alongside. There is a fairly thin wall to the right of the drive through that is below the 6 flats above.

I've been wondering what might happen if a vehicle crashed into the small wall on the right of the drive through:

There are larger sections of brick (front and rear) and one slightly smaller section halfway along but I don't think they are big enough to contain and inner steel structure, which could be a sign that it isn't a load-bearing wall?

I was wondering if there could be steel girders running horizontally across the whole building (left to right) and under the lower flats above the drive-through, which supports the weight of the flats above independently of the right hand wall, i.e. the weight of the left hand flats/building support the flats on the right if the wall wasn't there.

We're considering installing the following crash bollards (10mph or 20mph) at either end of the wall, set away from the wall:

And then these wheel stops/rubber curbs running along the the drive-through/wall, set far enough away from the right hand wall that a vehicle bumper/over hang wouldn't connect with the wall if it was to hit the wheel stops/rubber curbs:

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
it is difficult to "guess at" what the frame of the property is constructed from? Steel columns, concealed in the brick pier, or?? A concrete column disguised behind a facade of facing bricks??

As for your intended protection measures? the bollards will offer a very, very limited defense against an impact, but better something than nothing, as an aside even "Armco Barriers" the ones you see on Motorways, the steel pressed [sort of] "W" shaped horizontal barriers were only designed for a one ton vehicle impacting at 30 or 40 MPH, the more modern Motorway central reservation barriers tend to be woven steel wire hawsers, designed to get through the "crumple zone of the vehicle but grab a section of chassis to slow / stop the vehicle.

The wheel buffers? have a look at using something like old decent quality railway sleepers, they may?? be cheaper, with [say] three 25.mm steel rods driven through the sleeper and into the ground as far as they can be driven.

Other considerations??

There is no height warning sign?? suggest you install a height warning with the "MAX HEADROOM" of XX.XXX.M

And?? how about vertical warning corner light reflective [in appropriate colours] on the corners of the brick work you are concerned about.

If you have to make an Insurance claim??? because something has impacted, if the impact area was clearly defined and highlighted with warnings then your claim will be stronger, less wriggle room?

Finally, if a vehicle does impact with your "Building" do NOT!!! make an Insurance claim against your block / home Insurance Policy, make the Insurance claim against the Vehicles Insurer, Why??

If you make an Insurance claim after a vehicle impact to your [either] home or Block Insurer your Premium WILL rise, but if you make an Insurance claim against the insurer of the Vehicle you will NOT have either an Excess to pay or an increase in your premium !!!

Ken.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure if it might be worth getting a structural engineer to look at the property but I'm not sure how much they can tell by just looking at it... unless they can use something to test the internal structure of the wall - I've got a small stud detector that also detects metal/wires.

I was hoping that it might be possible to find the original architectural plans (drawings?) in an archive but that doesn't seem to be possible.

It's not visible in the photos but there is a yellow and black "MAX HEADROOM 2.5m (8')" sign over the centre of the drive through entrance but due to a slight incline in our drive way, the entrance and exit are different heights - the sign is based on the lower height of the exit, we did have a Tesco van driver get stuck at the exit end because they ignored the sign and just assumed that they would fit because they made it through the entrance.

We're looking at installing a hanging height restriction barrier half way along the drive through that is set the height of the exit, just to stop anyone from getting stuck if they ignore the sign on the way in... hopefully hitting the barrier will stop them!

Thanks for the tip about the insurance claim. Hopefully it very comes to that but something to be ware of.

Ask a Question