DIY Fixture Mounting Block

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to make a mounting block that looks something like this (link) so that I could avoid cutting into my siding (see attached photo, below to see siding that has been cut, and what I'm trying to avoid). I cut a small rectangular box (purchased at a craft store) to the correct angle that would allow my fixture to be perpendicular once it's mounted--see siding photo, and this will make sense! I screwed open side of the the box to a decorative plaque (also from a craft store) so that the wiring will be enclosed. I plan to caulk where indicated in red with Urethanized Acrylic Sealant. (The box is shown here from the back and side.) My question: is the caulk enough to keep water out, or do I need to glue the parts together with waterproof wood glue? I like the caulk idea (without glue) as a way to access the wires, but don't know enough about electrical to understand how watertight this needs to be. Thank you SO MUCH DIY-ers. You have my utmost respect.
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 8.07.59 AM.png

Attachments

Ask a Question