Home swimming pool - DIY - Solar heating panel

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Im not quite sure about the place i should ask the questions i hope its ok in general.
Ive been looking in DIY solar panel heater.
Id like to build one where water goes in one side throu a long coiled black water hose and comes out (hopefully) hotter.

None of them mention, how do i make the water flow? do i need to put a pump inside the swimming pool to push the water? how can i decide on the flow speed? im guessing too fast would make the water come out nearly the same temp they entered
1662300744503.png

This is what i had in mind where here they use copper, i will use a pvc hose

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This will absolutely work just fine! Good for you.

With regards a pump, I would use a fountain pump with an inline valve to modulate the flow if the pump moved too much water. If you want a cheap way to restrict the water (without a valve), just crimp the copper flex line slightly so it internally restricts the flow. Personally, I would go with the valve, this way, you can modulate the flow in case the sun isn't that hot and less flow is required to pick-up the sun's energy.

1662327493718.png

1662327685277.png

Reaction score
Country
Israel
This will absolutely work just fine! Good for you.

With regards a pump, I would use a fountain pump with an inline valve to modulate the flow if the pump moved too much water. If you want a cheap way to restrict the water (without a valve), just crimp the copper flex line slightly so it internally restricts the flow. Personally, I would go with the valve, this way, you can modulate the flow in case the sun isn't that hot and less flow is required to pick-up the sun's energy.

View attachment 5006

View attachment 5007
Thanks mate!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not quite sure about the place i should ask the questions i hope its ok in general.
Ive been looking in DIY solar panel heater.
Id like to build one where water goes in one side throu a long coiled black water hose and comes out (hopefully) hotter.

None of them mention, how do i make the water flow? do i need to put a pump inside the swimming pool to push the water? how can i decide on the flow speed? im guessing too fast would make the water come out nearly the same temp they entered
View attachment 5005
This is what i had in mind where here they use copper, i will use a pvc hose

A local pool had loops of this around perimeter of the pool, under black slabs .... worked well.
It would have to be pumped, and it is much easier to pump around a larger diameter tube than a small one.

Ask a Question