Heating a mobile home to prevent mold

Reaction score
Country
United States
We will shortly be living in a new manufactured home in a beach town, winters are very wet and windy, down to maybe 32 degrees at lowest. We have been warned about mold. The slightest breath of mold triggers my roommate's asthma. We plan on dehumidifiers, but also wondering about heat. Normally we heat our home to about 60 degrees. Does it need to be higher? Any other advice also very welcome.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dehumidifiers are an absolute must. I am really happy to hear your using them!

On dryer days/nights, keep the air flowing. Open windows so as to provide a thru-draft occasionally. Don't let the same air recirculate the entire day. In the HVAC industry, we call it "air replacement". Understandably, it will increase your heating costs.

Ensure the rainwater is draining OFF the mobile home properly, and not running down the side of the home uncontrolled. The water should be routed in a controlled manner, that is, a downpipe from your eaves (if you have any). Water running down the exterior side of any structure is a bad idea, especially when windows/doors are intercepting it's route.

Anyways....for now, that's all I can think of.

All the best.

Ask a Question