Central heating works intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house which is somewhat of a project. The central heating is run by an old Ideal Mini combi boiler. It will be replaced when i get around to doing the kitchen. Several of the radiators will be replaced too.

Everything seemed to work fine until a TRV developed a leak. I fixed it and reprssurised the system, and the boiler started kettling like mad. This only happened the first time I ran the heating after reprssurising.

When the heating works, it works very well. But getting it to kick in is a different matter.

It seems more likely to start if the pressure is high (2+ bar cold) Once it's circulating you can drain some water off to prevent the PRV kicking in, and it continues to run fine.
It seems to help if you run the hot water for about a minute too.

I've removed all except 2 of the radiators and flushed them out. They were horrendously dirty. I've currently got Fernox F3 circulating, but I'm dubious that it will solve the problem.

Probably irrelevant, but I've also replaced the filling loop, as the old one had a tendency to leak.

Hot water has worked consistently throughout.

I'm reluctant to get a professional in, as I only need it to see me through until I'm ready to rip out the kitchen.

There are drain off valves on both the inlet and the outlet for CH under the boiler. I'm tempted to flush the system via these, but I'm not sure if that could cause further problems?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ask a Question