Central Heating not working

Reaction score
I ran the central heating last week to test it before the weather turned cold and it was working. Now when I want it it wont come on. In fact now the boiler doesn't even seem to be coming on for the HW water either.
I changed the room stat as that was getting on a bit on the off chance but no success.
I am puzzled as to why the motorised valves are getting warm although nothing seems to be working so was wondering if that was the problem. The plumber who lived in the street has moved away now so I will have to to search for somebody to look at this. Anything I can try before searching, such as can I test the pump?

Reaction score
Is it a combi?

Check the water level, you should have around 1.5bar.

If combi's have been off for a while, the water pressure can decrease which will stop the boiler from working so they need to be topped up. The instruictions will be in the manual. There should be a meter that shows the pressure visible on the front of some boilers, underneath on others, there will be either one or two filling taps.

Reaction score
Worked it out. The boiler has a reset button underneath. I pressed the reset button and it fired into life. I had turned the boiler settings up and it may have overheated tripping the boiler out.

Reaction score
Worked it out. The boiler has a reset button underneath. I pressed the reset button and it fired into life. I had turned the boiler settings up and it may have overheated tripping the boiler out.
Glad it's going for you again. Turning up the boiler shouldn't make it trip out.
Back pressure on the flue is often the most likely cause, it can happen on very windy days. Might still be as well to check the bar pressure.

Ask a Question