central heating not working

Reaction score
As part of my pre winter home check i tried my central heating, unfortunately it does work.

I have some knowledge of my system in a DIY capacity, In the past(over 2 houses) i have changed a pump, 3 way valve, 2 way valve, moved and added rads. I apologise if i havent used the correct terminology for various parts

I have a non pressurised system (have a header tank) with a back boiler (behind the fire) with thermostatic valves and no thermostat There is a 3way valve that goes to hot water or central heating or both. The boiler was fitted about 6 years ago. The header tank is full to where is normally is. I have bled the rads and they are all full of water.

The controler has 4 settings for hot water and 4 for central heating , 24hrs, timed, on and off

If i turn both of them to off and them turn the water on, I can hear the 3 way valve move and the pump turn on. If, on the other hand, i turn both of them off and turn the central heating on, i cant hear the 3way valve move and the pump stays off, 2 of the rads have been turned up to max(6)

I think this points to the 3 way valve being faulty. However when the boiler was fitted, a new 3 way valve was fitted, this failed after just over 2 years (the central heating came on when the only the hot water was being called for) which i replaced. This could be a coincidence but i suspect not. Also I was under the understanding that these valves are designed to fail on rather than off

The only other problem i have had was when the pipe that comes down from the header tank blocked where it meets the horizontal pipe of the system

Thanks

Ask a Question