DIY 2023.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've always been front line when it comes to doing free favours often out of pocket but it's taken a lifetime to realize I need to stop doing these favours especially with what I've endured all 2022 from felling 15 very tall trees to repairing serious subsidence damage; where was the help whilst I was up the mountain in March with both my chainsaws fully fueled working in atrocious weather slipping and sliding around buffeted by strong winds also in August whilst on the roof doing repairs plus lots of other heavy work; amazingly everyone disappears when I'm doing heavy work; neighbours were delighted to receive car and pickup loads of free nicely cut heavy logs I'd carried all the way down to our driveway for their wood-burners but not one offered to even carry a few of these logs down the garden; I've had enough of being goody goody. I've posted these pictures previously but here's just a sample all work done on my own;

My wonderful wife a couple of days ago asked if there was anything I fancied; I replied saying yes I wouldn't mind spending around £6,000 on a used mini digger to help me remove over 30 tree stumps; of course my wife generous as ever said yes if this is what I want just buy one but we talked it over;

3 March 2022_0001.JPG

Just a few of the many logs; these being so wet were extremely heavy unaided by the steepness of the garden.
12 March 2022_0008.JPG

This measured 65' long the shortest was 50' long during the two weeks I suffered bitter cold; high wind; horizontal rain and sleet; the garden being so steep rapidly dries; even taking the pictures wasn't fun and at night I didn't need a bedtime story.

Extension damage_0009.JPG

One of the damaged walls due to subsidence.
Roof completed_0006.JPG

The rear extension to bungalow roof joint fully repaired a very neat job using alternative lead.

Just two of the big jobs. My wife has a lot more common sense than I have and she suggested why not leave the stumps as they are they aren't in the way or hurting anything in time they will rot down; you've worked so hard ever since we moved here 35 years ago why look for even more heavy work it's time you took it easier after all you're now 75 and deserve some proper retirement doing something you want to do rather than something you've got to do; the stumps can remain reminding me to not jump in for heavy work but when the weather warms up I've got a nice Howard Bulldog petrol rotavator to fully restore and also a lovely studio kitted out with lots of recording gear and violins etc. Funds aren't a problem but as I say my wife has a lot of common sense.

I'm truly fortunate having my lovely wife who spoils me rotten; here's lots of things she's treated me to this year as I've put my studio together; 4 violins; amps; mics and recording gear etc;

Studio June 22_0001.JPG

This picture taken in June since then lots more gear has been added. 2023 here I come.

So my resolution for 2023 is DIY= DON'T INVOLVE YOURSELF.

Just passing a bit of time before dinner is ready; this afternoon is quality studio time whilst I practice playing my violins.

Happy New Year everyone.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering, could you put some rocks/bricks around the stump and burn it away (when it's been dry for a while)? Not an ideal solution, but could work I guess?

DIY= DON'T INVOLVE YOURSELF.
This did make me laugh!!!

I do the occasional jobs for the neighbours round here, but thankfully they're all good and for the most part everyone returns the favour when they can. There are 5 houses all close together on our street, so we all look out for eachother - parcels, security, alarms, etc... but don't see eachother very often.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Thanks for the suggestion Ian; yes I could easily burn the stumps out and might even give it a try next year but I don't want to offend neighbours at the very top of our mountain directly across the lane with smoke; there's a prevailing breeze blowing up the valley.

Bron and I have lived here 35 years and only one neighbour has ever taken in a parcel for us even though over the years we've taken in dozens of parcels for them now we keep our heads down.

Earlier this year I received quite a few emails regarding Bitcoin suggesting I get in quickly. A short while later I was visiting a friend and he introduced me to Crypto Currency showing me his progress on his mobile phone saying he was doing well; he wasn't pushing me in any way just talking about it in general; I said I'd look into it which I did and I rejected both Bitcoin and Crypto Currency not trusting them.

I was visiting my friend just before Christmas and now he tells me he's lost £1,800 on Crypto Currency but even worse he knows someone who invested £10,000 and now lost £9,000.

I never trust these get rich schemes and never invest in anything with a risk so I wonder what 2023 will bring regarding more such schemes?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've always been front line when it comes to doing free favours often out of pocket but it's taken a lifetime to realize I need to stop doing these favours especially with what I've endured all 2022 from felling 15 very tall trees to repairing serious subsidence damage; where was the help whilst I was up the mountain in March with both my chainsaws fully fueled working in atrocious weather slipping and sliding around buffeted by strong winds also in August whilst on the roof doing repairs plus lots of other heavy work; amazingly everyone disappears when I'm doing heavy work; neighbours were delighted to receive car and pickup loads of free nicely cut heavy logs I'd carried all the way down to our driveway for their wood-burners but not one offered to even carry a few of these logs down the garden; I've had enough of being goody goody. I've posted these pictures previously but here's just a sample all work done on my own;

My wonderful wife a couple of days ago asked if there was anything I fancied; I replied saying yes I wouldn't mind spending around £6,000 on a used mini digger to help me remove over 30 tree stumps; of course my wife generous as ever said yes if this is what I want just buy one but we talked it over;

View attachment 5502
Just a few of the many logs; these being so wet were extremely heavy unaided by the steepness of the garden.
View attachment 5503
This measured 65' long the shortest was 50' long during the two weeks I suffered bitter cold; high wind; horizontal rain and sleet; the garden being so steep rapidly dries; even taking the pictures wasn't fun and at night I didn't need a bedtime story.

View attachment 5504
One of the damaged walls due to subsidence.
View attachment 5505
The rear extension to bungalow roof joint fully repaired a very neat job using alternative lead.

Just two of the big jobs. My wife has a lot more common sense than I have and she suggested why not leave the stumps as they are they aren't in the way or hurting anything in time they will rot down; you've worked so hard ever since we moved here 35 years ago why look for even more heavy work it's time you took it easier after all you're now 75 and deserve some proper retirement doing something you want to do rather than something you've got to do; the stumps can remain reminding me to not jump in for heavy work but when the weather warms up I've got a nice Howard Bulldog petrol rotavator to fully restore and also a lovely studio kitted out with lots of recording gear and violins etc. Funds aren't a problem but as I say my wife has a lot of common sense.

I'm truly fortunate having my lovely wife who spoils me rotten; here's lots of things she's treated me to this year as I've put my studio together; 4 violins; amps; mics and recording gear etc;

View attachment 5507
This picture taken in June since then lots more gear has been added. 2023 here I come.

So my resolution for 2023 is DIY= DON'T INVOLVE YOURSELF.

Just passing a bit of time before dinner is ready; this afternoon is quality studio time whilst I practice playing my violins.

Happy New Year everyone.

Kind regards, Colin.
Hiya 'Retired', Ha, I'm supposed to be too! Just like you too many people know what I'm capable of and won't leave me alone either.
What bugs me is that people don't realise that anything on offer has a limited timescale to be gotten. with Me it's "Do you want?" and BOOM! I'm there with a borrowed trailer etc. Example? I was offered, to take away, 20 sheets of 11mm OSB, brand new, . Now, I told someone that needed these to line an oak-framed garage just where they were, 4 miles away, and it's like "mmm,,, Yeh, But, Don't know if I can get a van,,," so two weeks later I was warned that they had to go or else and I ended up borrowing a Tranny and hauling them myself! I don't want to but I will now be putting them up and for the hassle I'm gonna charge top whack!
All I want to do is go fishing again and start keeping bees after a 30 year break!
The first day of lockdown I was allocated an allotment plot!! Lifesaver or what! So now people know I'm pretty good at it and ask me to grow plants etc for them too, along with the vicar who supports the St Timothy Foundation and holds plant sales and tea parties etc All in a good cause but very time consuming! But just try calling in a favour like welding two pieces of stainless bar together and I'm still waiting 4 weeks later!
Gotta see an environmental office tonight because someone reported me for having a hive on my plot! You always get one don't you!
Journey safely you all!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Dekzion; what surprises me is when I've done a free complicated job like grinding cutters for a Whitehill shaper block in order to help a neighbour match wooden moulding the moulding profile no longer available then once the moulding is completed and fully installed they can always tell me all about it afterwards being experts.

When people are known to have a decent workshop crammed with expensive kit then they don't now own the workshop; time or skills it's all about them; over the years I've not just done hours of favours but months of free favours putting my own wishes to one side only to find they then have another job lined up for me to do again totally free. I'll still do favours but only for very close friends whom I know are genuine. I'm sitting here in lots of pain having been digging big stumps and roots out up our very steep garden; as usual I'm totally on my own other than my truly wonderful wife who keeps me going with mugs of hot tea and biscuits; I've now learned a new short word "NO" and I don't care if I offend and they throw their rattle out of the pram; once this heavy stump job is completed I'm going to find out what it's like in my music studio without lots of heavy jobs constantly hanging over me.

No problems with anything to do with religion with me; I can't stand religion and I don't mean any offense to anyone who is religious; I made up my own mind about religion at the age of 15 when I started work down a deep coal mine; I can't stand politics and sport either; I've got plenty of interests of my own like learning to play a violin; we have friends who visit who have their own lives which they like to talk about; I never mention my music studio or violins because I don't want to be a bore.

No more free or paid favours from me in future; I'd rather sit on my backside than work to someone else's benefit I've not retired to be a slave. I'm a member of quite a few forums these full of my free favours.

Two stumps out_0001.JPG

Two big stumps out and winched across the steep slope then down to the back of the garden hut; I was fed up of turning away offers of free help (NOT) Two out four more yet to get out I'm also getting the roots up which alone is hard graft but I've made up my mind there's going to be a third meadow and I never quit once I start something.

Two stumps out_0004.JPG

I'm creating a third new wildflower meadow this in the middle of our garden; it's looking like we have giant gophers living with us.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Dekzion; what surprises me is when I've done a free complicated job like grinding cutters for a Whitehill shaper block in order to help a neighbour match wooden moulding the moulding profile no longer available then once the moulding is completed and fully installed they can always tell me all about it afterwards being experts.

When people are known to have a decent workshop crammed with expensive kit then they don't now own the workshop; time or skills it's all about them; over the years I've not just done hours of favours but months of free favours putting my own wishes to one side only to find they then have another job lined up for me to do again totally free. I'll still do favours but only for very close friends whom I know are genuine. I'm sitting here in lots of pain having been digging big stumps and roots out up our very steep garden; as usual I'm totally on my own other than my truly wonderful wife who keeps me going with mugs of hot tea and biscuits; I've now learned a new short word "NO" and I don't care if I offend and they throw their rattle out of the pram; once this heavy stump job is completed I'm going to find out what it's like in my music studio without lots of heavy jobs constantly hanging over me.

No problems with anything to do with religion with me; I can't stand religion and I don't mean any offense to anyone who is religious; I made up my own mind about religion at the age of 15 when I started work down a deep coal mine; I can't stand politics and sport either; I've got plenty of interests of my own like learning to play a violin; we have friends who visit who have their own lives which they like to talk about; I never mention my music studio or violins because I don't want to be a bore.

No more free or paid favours from me in future; I'd rather sit on my backside than work to someone else's benefit I've not retired to be a slave. I'm a member of quite a few forums these full of my free favours.

View attachment 5778
Two big stumps out and winched across the steep slope then down to the back of the garden hut; I was fed up of turning away offers of free help (NOT) Two out four more yet to get out I'm also getting the roots up which alone is hard graft but I've made up my mind there's going to be a third meadow and I never quit once I start something.

View attachment 5779

I'm creating a third new wildflower meadow this in the middle of our garden; it's looking like we have giant gophers living with us.

Kind regards, Colin.
Hey Colin,
Met with the council officer and got a firm 'Good idea'! Hey, keepin bees on the plot! way to go!. It took the wind out of my sails 'cos I have a plan B, C, and D! There's so many of my buds that want a hive in their garden it's nuts! and I couldn't say 'Whatever!" to 'em.
Congrats on the stumps! makes you feel great eh?
I don't do religion, a guy I know was having a get together 'cos he has tongue cancer, I was going to go until I found out it was a religious do with a service and what not!! Humanist me, and a left lobe infarct helps.
Derek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well done Dekzion in getting a positive reaction from the council to keep bees on your plot; locally to us if the council actually passes something then come the petitions from residents; good luck with the bees.

Thanks; normally I'd fully agree regarding getting the stumps out but I'm suffering having to sleep on the sofa due to severe neck and shoulder pain; I've worked myself to a standstill many times then after a meal would be fully charged; I went to bed feeling on top of the world after an hard day up the mountain on Monday but during the night awoke with incredible pain forcing me to get up; I had great pain just lifting my head from the pillow; this is so strange for me but around 4 o'clock this morning I started to feel better so hopefully it's a one off and shortly I'll be grafting again.

Humanist for me too; when I finally pass away I don't want the details posting in the obituaries; this hopefully will stop the vultures gathering especially relations. Such is life these days.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Tree stumps and roots out; ground made good; wildflower seeds broadcast and after an incredible amount of hard physical work our new third meadow is on its way;

15 March 2022_0001.JPG

15 March last year felling and disposing of 15 trees between 50' and 65' tall; a massive heavy job on my own working in often dire conditions up the steep slope
15 March 2022_0006.JPG

More 15 March.
17 March 2022_0001.JPG

17 March last year.
17 March 2022_0006.JPG

A small sample of logs I cut for a neighbours woodburner having carried these down the mountain; there was a lot of them. but I was younger then.
3 May 2023_0003.JPG

Top and middle wildflower meadows; there remains plenty of big tree stumps but they are out of the way; there were 8 stumps I had to clear to create the middle meadow; it sure is steep. In a few weeks weather permitting the garden should be ablaze with colour. There won't be an action replay; once was enough. I've done hundreds of free hours work for neighbours all have kept their head down; I'm safer working on my own anyway with this kind of work.

Kind regards, Colin

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got any more trees to fell Col, or is that the lot done now? I know you say there is no action replay, but I also know there is no stopping you! :D

Great having such a nice amount of space in the garden - is that the usual plot size for your street or did you get some extra land?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian; at the moment our remaining trees are no trouble; there are two mature oaks and a huge blue spruce left plus smaller conifers; living here for 36 years we dreaded windy weather blasting up the valley damaging our trees; I was forever having to go out wrapped up like an Eskimo in freezing conditions armed with my 20" petrol chainsaw to sort out yet another tree hence just over a year ago I'd had enough when the 50' tall willow suffered wind damage; it took 14 days of extremely hard work but now there are 15 very tall trees less that will never bother us again. Now aged 75 I want to find out what retirement should mean but I'm having no end of problems preventing me getting into the studio to play my violins.

Our valley side is so steep I think the builders could only build so many bungalows to our side of the street hence the larger than usual rear garden; our former next door neighbours built a four bedroomed detached house at the top of their garden then sold both their bungalow and the new house.

24 Match 2022_0004.JPG

Sorry about picture quality but Yorkshire is usually a black hole; if ever we do decide to move then we'll obtain planning permission to build; just trying to walk up our garden is hard work but dragging the petrol rotavator up there is something else; it keeps me fit and I'm used to hard graft.

A few weeks ago a company in Huddersfield wrote to us saying it would be to our mutual interest if they could arrange from planning permission to full build gaining planning permission for the top of our mountain; they actually wrote twice; we're aware how valuable such a building plot is worth it having panoramic valley views but we aren't greedy preferring the privacy to money; I've got a truly wonderful wife who isn't money driven in fact she's the most generous and gentle person I've ever known; we live a basic simple life never having holidays away from home our pleasure is each others company and many hobbies; let others show off and brag we aren't into such a way of life.

These days we can't call anything our own; company got their eyes on our land; TV constantly telling us what to do even what to eat; so many charities trying to make us feel guilty because we've worked so hard to better ourselves we can't even die in peace with endless bereavement plans thrust at us; fliers wanting to sell us retirement apartment (YUKK an apartment like this is just god's waiting room) round the world cruises; meals delivered to our door; solar panels it never ever lets up just because we've now got a beautiful detached bungalow in nice gardens; no one has helped us we've worked so hard for a lifetime and even now in retirement I've been working flat out seven days a week with no holidays; why can't other able bodied people do as we've done and work to better themself instead of bleating about those in big houses should give them free handouts.

Kind regards, Col.

Ask a Question