Mr Cool DIY 36k mini split issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new on here and looking for some insights for an issue that I'm having with my MR Cool DIY 36K 4th gen unit that I installed 6 months ago. Let me start by saying that I'm not a professional but I have installed a LG 3 zone mini split unit. I pressured tested, vacuumed the unit, added extra refrigerant, and charged the unit and have not had any issues for the last two years. I installed the Mr Cool DIY unit six months ago and went with the DIY unit so I didn't have to go through all the steps that it took to install the LG unit. It worked fine for 6 months and just recently shut off with a PC03 code. After trouble shooting with the MrCool techs, I was in the process of checking the ohms on the low pressure switch on the compressor and found clear oil in the bottom of the unit. The tech determined based on the oil that the compressor failed and they are going to warranty the condenser. As I was disconnecting the linesets from the unit, I noticed that there was oil on the lineset connections as well. This got me thinking that maybe the oil came from the lineset connections and not the compressor. I check the pressure in the lines and determined that there was zero pressure in them. I retorqued the lines and vacuumed them and the condenser and the unit held a vacuum a 30mmhg for over an hour. I currently do not have a micron gauge but the manifold gauge was holding at 30 and did not move. My question is, is it possible to have a compressor that leaked out oil and still be able to pull a vacuum? I'm starting to think that the oil came from the linesets and there is not an issue with the compressor. I just don't want to dump in 11 pounds of 410a to lose it all again. Is there anything else that I can check to help diagnose this issue? Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question