Frigidaire #LGHT1846QP1 - door switch and cabinet cooling

Reaction score
The lights intermittently turn on when I open the door to my 5 yo fridge. As of yesterday, they stopped turning on altogether and I noticed the fridge compartment wasn't as cool.
Today, the lights are coming back on when I open the door, and I THINK the compartment feels cooler.

If the door switch is faulty, will that impact the temp in the fridge. (Freezer is fine.) I can't seem to find a 'straight' answer when searching the internet.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oct 25, 2020

The lights intermittently turn on when I open the door to my 5 yo fridge. As of yesterday, they stopped turning on altogether and I noticed the fridge compartment wasn't as cool.
Today, the lights are coming back on when I open the door, and I THINK the compartment feels cooler.

If the door switch is faulty, will that impact the temp in the fridge. (Freezer is fine.) I can't seem to find a 'straight' answer when searching the internet.

Thanks!!
To my knowledge the door switch has nothing to do with the cooling temperature, but an intermittent door light failure does indicate there is a real possibility of a intermittent open electric circuit that effects the cooling.

Occasionally there can be a ice build up that prevents cold freezer air from reaching the refrigerator section and be certain there are no items inside blocking air travel to or from a surface that appears louvered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oct 25, 2020

Thanks!!
To my knowledge the door switch has nothing to do with the cooling temperature, but an intermittent door light failure does indicate there is a real possibility of a intermittent open electric circuit that effects the cooling.

Occasionally there can be a ice build up that prevents cold freezer air from reaching the refrigerator section and be certain there are no items inside blocking air travel to or from a surface that appears louvered.
It appears it was the main control board, which once replaced resolved both the lights intermittently not coming on when the door was opened, as well as the cooling issues inside the fridge. Whatever was going wrong with control board wiring coincidentally affected both parts at the same time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've never found it much fun to find other storage for food while a freezer/fridge is down. Trouble shooting today's appliances isn't as simple as 50 years ago. Glad you got it under control.

Ask a Question