concrete porch flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have moved into a property and one of the many jobs that need doing is a leaking concrete porch roof. I have been investigating the options and one I like is to install a sloping tiled roof over the top. I do not have a lot of room above as the upstairs window ledge is directly above. I have measured and I have 0.3m available above. The porch is a meter long. I have worked out that the angle of the drop is around 16 degrees. I have heard that if the drop isn't steep enough the wind will lift the tiles. I live in an area exposed to the wind. The attached picture gives an idea of the available drop. The roof as it is has been at some point covered with felt which has failed over time and looks a mess. I don't want to go down the route of re felting it. Has anyone experience of fibreglass roof covering?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Personally, I would use a solid industrial rubber, about 3' (or 1m) in width, and cut to the length (+ 6", or 15cm) of the rooftop, glue it down, fold the excess over the fascia by about 3" (or 7cm) on the ends.

If you use tiles (asphalt), ensure you use "LOW PITCH" shingles. A lot of people don't know they exist. Also, apply them before you know hot weather is approaching. The heat from the sun melts an asphalt based adhesive on the underside of each shingle which bonds it's underside to the preceding row of shingles to avoid lifting.

Ask a Question