I need help with 2 prong outlet replacement

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a partial replacement of my home electric service, but some older solid copper wires and outlets remain. I decided to change another outlet, (which I've done to others before with no issues). However, though the old outlet worked, I can't get a new one to work. I've attached the black to brass, white to silver, but it will trip the breaker. There is another outlet in the room that stopped working when I disconnected this outlet. See the picture below. What am I missing?
2 prong.jpg

Reaction score
I am going to say welcome to the forum and politely decline any recommendations on your wiring dilemma. You probably aren’t going to get too many responses since no one wants to be responsible for burning down someone else’s house. That is very old wire and in my opinion should be replaced.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did he (presumably he would have?) comment on the condition of the wiring?

Obv it could be different in the USA, but in the UK cotton-covered cables like those went out a looooonnnnnggggg time ago, and had rubber insulation underneath, not PVC, and by now that rubber is utterly decrepit and dangerous.

Ask a Question