Garage conversion help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to this forum so, hello!

I’m converting my garage and doing some of the work myself.

I’m have professionals brick up/window, door the existing garage door, do the electrics and the plastering.

That leaves me with the studwork, insulation and plaster boarding which looks relatively straight forward for the average diy’er. My issue is, in the fully detached garage, which is made of brick all the way around, there are also a few pillars of breeze block. I was going to stud out the walls so the plasterboard would just go flush over them however the breeze block comes out off the wall by 120mm.

From the research I have done, it doesn’t look like there are any studwork sizes that would allow me to make it so that the plasterboard is flush, it seems typically the studwork joists are 89mm which leaves me 30mm short. I can’t for the life of me think of a resolution.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,
Luke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't mind losing all that space, just build stud walls, with top & bottom plates, spaced away from the existing walls, i.e. built and fixed just as if you were building a partition wall.

Another option, which can be very useful if you're going to want to fix shelves, cupboards etc, to the walls is to cover the studwork with sheets of ply so that you have something solid to screw into, and won't need to rely on unreliable hollow wall fixings.

Nothing to do with your Q, but you have got all the planning permission and building regs approval sorted?

Ask a Question