Help needed with a kind of hinge that would work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm building a logshed / storage area for tools.
I've almost done, but I'd like to put a door on it to keep the tools (brushes and a rake) away from prying eyes.
However, I'm a little stuck with what kind of hinge would work best.
I've done a (terrible) mock up of where I'm at.

Attachments

Reaction score
Seems most any hinge might work if you were to mortise it in. If you are concerned someone might pop out the hinge pin, there are security hinges that have non removable pins. I have also used regular butt type hinges and instead of the regular pin, I put a big spike that fit well and tapped a thread onto the bottom so I could put on a nut and peen the end over so it was more difficult to remove

Reaction score
'T' hinges are what you need, available from Toolstation and Screwfix etc. A good tip that I read in a DIY magazine was to use a carriage bolt in one or two of the screwholes for both parts of the hinge (you will need to files these holes square to fit the bolt head) so that even if the screws are removed, the door can not be opened. I also fitted a steel plate (with carriage bolts!) over the mortice lock to prevent jemmying. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm building a logshed / storage area for tools.
I've almost done, but I'd like to put a door on it to keep the tools (brushes and a rake) away from prying eyes.
However, I'm a little stuck with what kind of hinge would work best.
I've done a (terrible) mock up of where I'm at.
Purchase two heavy duty galvanised steel "T" hinges, from Toolstation or Screwfix.

Ask a Question