DEWALT (vs. Makita) Cordless Drill Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time posting here so please excuse incompetence.

We bought a DEWALT DCD776 to help with our home renovation. It's been through some light to medium work so far and has generally been really good to use. Recently, we have found that inserting screws (any type) has been challenging - the drill will come out of the screw head repeatedly, almost in a continuous pattern, making it almost impossible to use.

We think the issue is that the drill and drill bits aren't spinning correctly. We have tried different bits and they all seem to have a similar outcome. The chuck also seems to be not turning correctly. I've attached videos to help show the problem on the DEWALT, and I've also attached videos of our Makita that is turning with no issues yet is much older and has also been through some hard work.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/142ZedLWoWhKRzDwUiR7cmx88Aoxrtj5a?usp=sharing

Could anyone help with this issue? Have we diagnosed it correctly? Can I fix this or is this something warranty could cover?

My partners Dad has a couple of DEWALT drills too and his have the same 'problem', but he is adamant that it's nothing to worry about?!

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Not particularly handy so this is all a bit alien to me!

Many thanks,
Oli

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, I'm using the DEWALT DCD777C2 but never faced this type of issue. Maybe my drill usage is little for the Home DIY.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
FIRSTLY: I am not a fan of those keyless chucks, that is, the circular black sleeve you turn to secure the bit/driver into the drill. But, its likely all you can buy in cordless now. Having said that, you may need to use water-pump pliers to give that black sleeve a SLIGHT tighten beyond what your humanly strong enough to do. That will fix the bit/driver from coming out during use.

SECONDLY: What type of a driver are you using.....Robertson? The US doesn't use Robertson too often. I am not sure if the UK uses Robertson at all neither? Point being: When/if your driving long heavy screws (in Robertson), you need to stop the drill (release trigger) every little bit WITHOUT taking it out of the screw, then rotate/rock the drill so as to re-seat the Robertson driver bit into it's respective screw head. The same could be true of Philips, try it.

Too, ensure the driver is PROPERLY fitting into the screw. There are #3 and #2 (a reference to diameter size) of Robertson and Philips screws.....ensure the driver matches the screws.

Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My best guess is that the chuck needs a clean and a little bit of light machine oil.

Meths/IPA or electrical contact cleaner will clean it - let it drip out if using the former.

Open it up all the way, apply some oil, work it closed/open a few times (hold the chuck collar and run the drill backwards and forwards is the easiest way). Again leave it to drip in case you've used too much oil ;)

You should never need to use grips to tighten it - your problem isn't that it's not tight enough, it's not properly aligned. Dust from drilling operations clogging it a likely culprit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of a driver are you using.....Robertson? The US doesn't use Robertson too often. I am not sure if the UK uses Robertson at all neither?
Never seen them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screw#Licensing

PoziDriv are by far and away the most common, but I think Torx are coming up on the inside.
[/QUOTE]
Another thing to remember - screwdriver bits are disposable - they are designed to wear out, deliberately made softer than screws, so that when (not if) it slips when using a power tool, you sacrifice the easily replaced bit, not end up with a buggered screw that you can't move any more. Don't be shy about replacing bits.

Ask a Question