Help needed when painting front door

Reaction score
Hi all
i am having trouble in getting the finish on my front door to looking good all over, if you look at the attached it has some shiny and dull parts to the finish, is this because i am not putting enough paint on and subsequently when i go over it to finish the section i then make it look dull, i would appreciate your comments before i try and paint again.
the paint is dulux trade oil based

regards
Ivan

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not a trade painter/decorator but I've done a lot of painting over the years. I usually find paint straight from the tin rather too thick so I decant it into a smaller tin and thin it a bit; this helps a great deal then I apply it as quickly as possible with a full coat; quickly level it off and leave it well alone to dry; over brushing only makes for trouble as the paint starts to become tacky.

Looking at your door I'm sure you're almost there because it's neatly painted without runs or curtains.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi Colin
Thanks for reply will give that a go
Ivan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome Ivanm; please do NOT thin your paint too much; just enough to make it easier to apply without a fight. I'd have been interested if a painter/decorator had jumped in with useful tips of the trade.

You don't state your location but here's a company I find useful;

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/

For top quality paint and the paint I now use;

https://www.benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Thanks once again Colin I live in Cambridge but always good to have info on other decorating centres
Ivan

Reaction score
Hi Colin
I painted the door again today I thinned the paint as suggested(not to much) and it went on well however a similar finish has occurred again although in a different part of the door this time, have you any other thoughts on what I am doing wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How strange Ivan; if you've prepared the door by rubbing it down then I can only think it must be your painting technique; I doubt it's the paint otherwise the problem would be more widespread not localized?

Did you find painting with the thinned paint to be a lot easier? Are you applying the paint evenly and enough of it; sufficient paint needs to be applied for it to "level out" if too little is applied then you will get patches but there's a fine line between applying a flowing coat or ending up with paint runs or curtains; I can understand your frustration in wanting to achieve a perfect finish but it does take quite a bit of practice. If the paint is now going on a lot easier don't be tempted to thin it even more.

Whatever you do now leave the paint well alone to completely dry otherwise you'll end up in real trouble due to paint wrinkling; I found this out the hard way many years ago when I was too eager and applied another top coat too soon.

I believe september is rated best month for exterior painting here in the UK?

Have you ever sprayed paint Ivan?

https://www.diy-forums.com/threads/cheap-paint-sprayer.290059/#post-1735913

This would involve a lot more preparation due to having to mask all areas nearby to protect from overspray and again it comes down to practice and technique; it's just so easy to spray too much paint and having to thin the paint to allow it to be sprayed makes it a lot more prone to paint runs.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Colin, sprayed cars but not doors, but I suspect the same technique, I suspect it is my painting technique but not really had trouble before so will take your advice and wait until really dry and the decide what to do next

Reaction score
Country
India
You can apply the thin paint on the doors so that you will get uniformly instead of patches. However, remember not to apply the paint too thin.

Ask a Question