Flat refurb..........paint advice needed please.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just started re-furbing a one bed flat. All walls have been stripped to the old plaster, the ceilings have been skimmed & the woodwork will be rubbed down very soon.
What I'd like your advice on is the following.
What brands of paint would you guys recommend & where should I buy it from?
The ceilings will be white (matt emulsion), the walls will be magnolia (matt emulsion) & the woodwork will be white satinwood finish.
I'm obviously going to avoid chainstore brands (Homebase for example) & presumably need special paint for the kitchen & bathroom.
Quite prepared for 3 or 4 coats but would also like to know exactly when to give the walls their final rub down.
Thanks in advance,

Slime.

Reaction score
When I was growing up I moved a lot, and many properties had to be returned to their original condition regarding decor. My experience with cheap/own brand paints leads me to suggest some of the better or custom paint manufacturers. I actually found that Farrow & Ball paints were pretty good, involving a lot less coats than I had anticipated on a few occasions. It is also possible however that I was just in a better mood when I was using it :)

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I have never had a problem with store brands, especially if you are using a generic colour like white for the ceilings.

You can get special bathroom and kitchen paint, which is more durable and waterproof. It's easy to find in the stores and is labled 'Bathroom Paint'.

I have never given much more than two coats, I don't normally find more than two necessary.

Reaction score
Final rub down, just remove all the old paper, clean the walls etc. and let it dry before you apply the pain :)

Reaction score
Don't buy anything too expensive as you might change your mind about the colour! That's my advice, unless you're absolutely sure about the colour and finish. Go for something reasonably priced that is not cheapish and not designer, and you strike a good compromise in my view. Then you can repaint in a year or two when you fancy a change, without breaking the bank!

P.S. Have always been happy with Dulux :)

Ask a Question