Cracked lintels panic

Reaction score
I have recently accepted an offer on my house and I am awaiting the surveyor to visit and value the house. The house is a gable end terraced which was built in 1900. A number of years ago a noticed that the lintel above my front door was cracked and the bricks below had moved away from the door slightly. The lintels on the window at the back of the house have also moved inwards slightly!!!!! Is this a problem? There have been no internal problems but I am concerned about my house sale falling through. The house was sandblasted and repointed 2 years ago and the builders never mentioned any issues but I didn't ask them as I had no intention of selling at the time. Can anyone help????? :)

Reaction score
hm a lintel shouldnt crack unless there is sever movement however this would of shown on the internal, however it might be worth getting it checked and the lintel on the back could be due to general movement of brickwork,as for the sale i wouldnt think it would affect it unless the cracked lintel is due to a larger problem

Reaction score
I think it depends on what type of survey your buyers have. I'd get a couple of indepentent quotes so you know exactly what the damage is and how much it will cost.

Reaction score
Such problems are best to consult the structural engineer. Upload photos as you have

Reaction score
Qver the years it can be usual for lintels to show some signs of cracking. If you have any photos plse upload them so we can take a look. Building materials don't last for ever so expect some to go south.

Reaction score
Did your house sale go though OK? I have a similar issue with a cracked lintel what was the issue in the end? Any feed fack welcome.

Ask a Question