Cracked/lose mortor or plaster behind plastic window trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where the wall meets the window there is a plastic trim. I took it off because there is a damp patch under the window sill in the corner. I was trying to find the answer to the damp and so took the plastic trim off. It's about an inch thick. This brought off some of the skimmer plaster but behind it there is plaster/Mortor that is cracked but stuck there wobbling... What is the best way to repair it. For the gap I was gunna foam it but I cant just leave broken bits of plaster/Mortor holding on. Can you help me please.... It has been causing me alot of stress

Attachments

Reaction score
Looks like window fitters answer to gap filling.
It's likely that when the old windows were removed and PVC fitted, the plaster reveals were damaged.
The damp would worry me.
If it's a cavity wall, there should be a cavity filler round the window frame, but too late to see that.
You need to find as best you can why the damp is there.
First check the frame to external wall seal. Driving rain and strong wind will find any small gaps.
Also, possibly, water is running down the cavity, again getting through the external wall or other faults like mortar and debris bridging.
I would cut back the plaster reveal, carefully, to get back to solid firm plaster - try tapping it and judge from the sound.
That might let you have enough gap to feel for water and see how the frame was fixed.
If the plaster is really bad, it might all have to come off.
You could use an expanding foam, but that might just shift the damp somewhere else.
As for repairing, i would clean out all the loose stuff. Give the surfaces a generous coat of external grade PVA.
Holes with no backing will need expanded mesh or foam.
Fill with several layers with patching plaster.
You can get PVC trim in many sizes if you need to replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
What do you mean by please reveal?
Since we spoke I have repointed areas. You also mention external PVA glue... What's that for sorry? I did a bit of foam filling. Can't say I have seen any change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also the damp patch of the wall is very hollow and this hollowness continues under the sill for approximately a 3 tier brick course then goes solid wall... Any thoughts on this... Thankyou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's hollow in the damp patch and as soon as you get to the outer edge of the damp patch the wall become solid.... Breakthrough???

Ask a Question