Screw grommit and the tool to turn it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

What do we call this kind of screw grommit and the tool or key used to turn it?

IMG_6059.jpg

This one is about 3/8" or 9mm outside diameter.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Those are cam locking screws/bolts for furniture. You don't normally unscrew these from the side you've pictured. If you can't unscrew the bolt from the other side, you'll have to make-shift a flat blade screwdriver by grinding the center portion of the flat portion off. This way, the "sacrificial" flat blade screwdriver can "straddle" the bolt and seat itself so as to loosen the nut.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, that's clever. Well done, thanks. A pal elsewhere suggested a 'spanner-head' driver, this sort of thing...:

...but I can't find one with a big enough span, that 3/8" / 9-10mm. But yes, 'modifying' a flat-blade screwdriver with a hacksaw, then a bit of Dremel if i want to get fancy, should do the job. And relatively cheaply.

Great thinking. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Even just buying a piece of flat iron (1/2"W x 1/8"D x minimum length L), will work. Even an old standard kitchen knife with solid metal handle....

Hope it works for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
More good thinking. I'll get to it tomorrow... and have a fossick around in my junk drawer to see what I can find before making a trip to H Depot...

Reaction score
Country
United States
So it worked! I cut a tool like you suggested out of an old piece of closet hardware in my junk drawer:

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

Then I lopped off the bottom across that hole and refined the 'fork' with sandpaper and the Dremel.

The result worked. Not perfectly – the material was hardly high-carbon steel (if it had been, I likely wouldn't have been able to work it with my simple tools) so it bent a bit:

IMG_6099.JPG

But it did the job: it tightened that valve grommet, whatever we call it, and the thing is now gas-tight again as it's meant to be.

Terrific. Thanks ACP!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, I am really happy it worked, and the pictures of your "make shift" tool was nice!

I do spend a fair amount of time trying to help people in this website. Most people don't come back after I offer them the suggestion/answer....so it was very thoughtful of you to respond....it makes me want to offer help!! :)

Ask a Question