Genie screw drive garage door opener

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unit is # SD5050 from the early ‘90s. Upon opening, if the side door latch is still engaged, the motor will not stop when resistance is encountered. This results in ripping the carriage off the rail thus detroying. I do realize the latch should be disengaged prior to activating motor, but in my defense in years past the motor has always stopped prior to any damage to the carriage. Apparently something has changed and perhaps an adjustment of sorts may be warranted. Thank you in advance for any advice. Joe

Reaction score
Country
Canada
On some of those residential operators, there is a manual rotary device (AKA: knob) that modulates the torque limiter feature of the door's drive system, that is, it increases/reduces mechanical HP delivered to the carriage upon an obstruction. Try backsetting it and see if the operator fails to move the door upon even the slightest of mechanical resistance. If so, then the feature is functional, and you'll have to upset it to a point in which you feel is appropriate.

In the commercial door industry, we never suggest a company uses a mechanical lock on a door with an e/o. With commercial machines, massive wreckage can occur by electrically moving a door when it's mechanically bound/secured by a lock. My suggestion would be, don't touch the manual lever on your door. If your worried about security, de-energize the e/o with the breaker (or a switch wired in) each night. These machines have internal fail-safe brakes (brake engages on power down) that disallow movement of the door when the e/o is OFF.

Ask a Question