Removal of supporting wall....

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having some significant structural work carried out on my house by an experienced local builder. The back wall of the house to 1st floor level has already been removed and replaced with a 'picture frame' construction consisting of 4 RSJs specced by a structural engineer and approved by the local planning department.

The internal wall between kitchen and dining room was removed yesterday to 1st floor level. As with the external wall, the floor above has been supported using acrow props. In this instance it appears that one of the props has been tightned by 2 - 3 millimetres too far resulting in small cracks above the door of the bedroom above the prop and also above the door to the en-suite bathroom in the loft conversion on the second floor. Spoke with the builder this morning and he has released the tension in the prop with the view that the wall above will settle.

Can anyone advise if this is the correct course of action, or would any further remedial work be required? I do not believe the wall on the first floor is load bearing (floor in loft is floated between 2 RSJs) and in effect has become a dividing wall between two bedrooms.

Thanks,

Les

Ask a Question