Removal of masking tape residue on glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had some work done on my front door, which included painting, new glass (frosted) and glazing (putty).

the issue i have is a cheap masking tape was used on the glass whilst the door was being painted, which has left adhesive residue on the glass, as can be seen in the photo.

what’s the best way to remove this? Bearing in mind it’s frosted with putty glazing?

I was thinking of using a heat gun and a glass scraper, however, how will this effect the putty?

I also have some C TEC multisolve, which is supposed to be good for removing this sort of thing.. but again I’m worried about damaging putty/glass (I’m not sure how strong it is).

Is there an easier/safer way to deal with this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If your glass is frosted by way of sandblasting, Acetone takes most glue residues off without damaging the finish beneath. Women's fingernail polish remover has some Acetone in it, or you can buy the pure Acetone at a hardware store. It is alcohol based, so it evaporates VERY quickly. If you "frosting" was performed by a film layer applied to the glass, you CANNOT use Acetone.

Ask a Question