New skirting

Reaction score
Hello

I ve recently moved and stripped all the old dodgy wallpaper and had the walls and ceilings skimmed.

Now before painting i m looking at the architrave and skirting thinking they going to ruin the new look but will removing them and fitting larger ones prove problematic due to the skim and different depth.of plaster underneath and will they come off without wrecking the new plaster. Or is it just best to leave it alone

Gary

Reaction score
On the insistance lof my wife, I changed the skirting in our house on the ground floor for a taller one several years ago, before we had the house completely redecorated and carpeted. that was three rooms the hall and the first floor landing. I refused to do the bedrooms as it was too much like hard work. It's lasted well, as it is today.

P1020267.JPG

It was the original plaster and didn't cause me any problems other than the fact that the old skirting was fixed to wooden wedges mortared in between the bricks. (No stud partition or dry-lined walls in our house). So I had too be careful not to disturb any bricks.
I had to pack out behind where I screwed the new skirting to the bricks because of the gap.

If the new skirting is taller than the old, I'd run a jig saw at an angle along the top of the old skirting, if a Stanley knife makes no impression.. Then remove the old.

The biggest problem was the bay window. However I sawed a couple of dozen shallow grooves across the back of the board and was able to bend it without tit cracking. I didn't think our Russell Hobbs kettle was up to steaming it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question