Wall behind skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ,

I want my studio to be plastered, and I'm preparing the room.. My flat is a Victorian house. When I removed the skirting board, this is the situation.
IMG_20211016_150855.jpg
IMG_20211016_150829.jpg
IMG_20211016_150842.jpg

There's loose wood, loose old plaster that will come off when I touch it.
But it seems that there was already a gap. Why is it not filled? What do I do?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not filled as it's behind the skirting board, so why expend labour and materials plastering further down?

Check with yourplasterer, but I'd be inclined to remove any blown plaster and see what's going on with the state of the walls underneath. Looks like they might be timber framed with brick infill?

What sort of studio? Art or recording?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, as simple as that? I read somewhere that it's to make the walls breathe?! and for dampness..

Just studio for work from home, but I also play the guitar and paint.. so in a way.. both..

I wonder if I should do it , or ask the plasterer... not sure if it's a big job or I can just buy a bag of bonding plaster and do it myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The vertical joists and wooden noggins were used back in the day to attach the skirt with cast iron nails. As the member above stated there was and is no need to bond or plaster behind where the new skirt goes. unless of course you want acoustic protection, which would be minimal any way. I’d just do what we do and attach the skirt, preferably real wood and not mdf to the original noggins and joists with screws and the assistance of an impact driver. Any gaps above the new skirt line can be bonded then skimmed.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
To install a skirt, attach the skirt to the original noggins with screws and an impact driver. Make sure there are no gaps above the new skirt line, then skim over any excess material using a wood saw. https://skirtingsrus.co.uk/ has some detailed guides about installing skirting boards.

Ask a Question