Installing Cabling Behind the Wall

Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning the installation of a wall-mounted TV (most likely a Samsung Smart TV - about 35 pounds or so) in my in-laws home. They prefer to have the cables hidden behind the wall.

It's a single story home, built in the late 60s/early 70s. I'm confident in my installation abilities regarding the mount, TV, and wall boxes. My only concern is the possibility of a fire break / block in the studs.

The TV has to go on an exterior wall. Literally, there is no other choice. Access from the top crawlspace is severely limited and may be more time consuming / dangerous than it's worth.

My question is, is it possible to cut a hole where the power and video cables will be near the floor, and drill UP into the fire block? Has anybody on this board done that? Assuming the block is 3-4 feet up the wall??

I'm considering using a kit, something like this (final decision hasn't been made yet): .amazon.com/PowerBridge-TSFP-WH-UltraSlim-Solution-Management/dp/B003ZHTU4W/ref=pd_ybh_9[/url]

The idea is to not cut the drywall in the middle of the wall - they've just been redone/painted/textured about 2 years ago. Ideally, this would have been taken care of then, but a TV wasn't on their radar at the time.

Any other options/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ask a Question