Installing a pull up bar

Reaction score
Country
Qatar
Hi, I am trying to install a pullup bar but struggling to do so. Any advice is appreciated.

What I'm trying to install:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-21 at 7.01.56 AM (2).jpeg

What came with it:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-21 at 7.01.56 AM (3).jpeg

What I understand..:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-21 at 7.01.56 AM (1).jpeg

However the screw is very thick, and my hammer drill can't take more than a 10mm bit.

What should I do? Should I use the 10mm and try to make a bigger hole with it?

I have also tried installing it with these self-drilling screws instead...:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-21 at 7.01.56 AM.jpeg

Which just come out of the wall after I drill them in. I have read that I should be using an impact driver to drive them but all I have is a hammer drill. Could that be the issue ? I have tried both modes (hammer, drill) on my drill with the same result.

Let me know if there is more info I need to provide. Thank you.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That thick tube is a wall anchor, which you can use in solid walls to provide very strong holding support. You place the anchor in to the hole you drill, then as you screw the fixing in, it opens up the anchor at the bottom to grip on tight. It's hard to budge from the wall, ideal for a pull-up bar.

I would buy a bigger drill bit, one that will provide a snug fit for the wall anchor. If you want to use the same drill, you can get larger drill bits with "reduced shanks" that will fit in to a standard drill. For example, here's a selection in the UK:

They're not ideal to use, as they'll stress the drill, but fine for one-off jobs like this.

Reaction score
Country
Qatar
That thick tube is a wall anchor, which you can use in solid walls to provide very strong holding support. You place the anchor in to the hole you drill, then as you screw the fixing in, it opens up the anchor at the bottom to grip on tight. It's hard to budge from the wall, ideal for a pull-up bar.

I would buy a bigger drill bit, one that will provide a snug fit for the wall anchor. If you want to use the same drill, you can get larger drill bits with "reduced shanks" that will fit in to a standard drill. For example, here's a selection in the UK:

They're not ideal to use, as they'll stress the drill, but fine for one-off jobs like this.
Aha.. thank you for the information.

Ask a Question