Installing PlasterBoard on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need some guidance on how to install the plasterboard on the wall.

My existing concrete wall had the wall paper which I have removed. I noticed that plaster on the wall was quite brittle at some places.
I have been suggested I should first use mesh on the wall and then do little bit of plaster and then use some mix to install the plasterboard.

So my question is that the correct approach to install the plasterboard ?
Should I need to scrub the wall before doing anything on the wall ?
Also Do I need the to install plasterboard up to the bottom of the wall and then install skirting on the top of it ?

I really appreciate if someone can guide me step by step to reach my goal - install plasterboard on the wall. I have also attached some picture for reference.

TIA

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Suggest you research the following.

1/. You mention that the walls are made of "Concrete" it is possible that you have a [what is called] No-Fines home? Popular with Local Authorities?

2/. As for fixing Plasterboard? check out "Dot and Dab" where splodges of the adhesive plaster are placed on to a wall and the plasterboard pressed into the plaster.

3/. Suggest that at floor level you keep the plasterboard just above the floor, if the floor is concrete, if timber Ditto or let it rest on the timber, ensure that there is a load of plaster dab at the bottom of the wall at its junction to the floor so that when you fif the skirting there is something there to fit to that will not distort.

You can if needed carefully drill through the plasterboard and insert n a rawlplug + screw to ensure the plasterboard is fixed.

Ken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response.

I looked into "No-Fines Home". You might be correct as my house was built in 1950s. I also noticed that outside walls are built with bricks as normal but Internal walls have studs and the plaster over it.

For 2nd point, yes I am aware of "Dot & Dab" method, I saw couple of videos for that. It seems to comparatively easy.

For 3rd point, Yes, floor is timber covered with wooden panel for floor.

should I do following steps as below or can i skip step 1

1. use mesh on the wall with plaster for support & Wait for couple of days to be dry.
2. install plasterboard with "Dot & Dab"
3. use raw plug to ensure plasterboard is fixed.

Thanks
Gaurav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you can afford the loss of space I'd suggest battens on the wall with packing pieces to ensure perfect flatness and then fix the PB to them.
It'll also be easier to conceal the conduit to that light switch then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you can afford the loss of space I'd suggest battens on the wall with packing pieces to ensure perfect flatness and then fix the PB to them.
It'll also be easier to conceal the conduit to that light switch then.
Thanks for your reply. I am planning to do this on my external wall to avoid the condensation -
- installing the batten and then using thermal PB.

I can not do on my internal wall as the at the end of the wall, there is cabinet is built on the wall, its door might get blocked.

If I use mesh on this wall and do the bit of plastering... will it be right approach ?

Ask a Question