Best way to find moisture/smell behind drywall ?

Reaction score
Hello,
We recently moved into our house, and there is a musty smell in one bedroom. What is the best way to determine where the smell/ moisture/mold is?
What is the best tool? A moisture Meter ? Thermographic imaging tool? Or should I spring for higher cost moisture imaging tool?

Some more info,
It is a ranch, i couldnt see any sign of water in the crawl space above the room. It is a unfinished basement and the baseboard below the bedroom looks normal.

I removed wallpaper and paonfed with kilz oil based primer and paint, but now that the paint smell has faded the smell is obvious again.

I did the patch test where you cover the outlets with paper towel and taped tin foil over, left a few days and tried to smell of any of the samples had the same smell. None of them had the specific odor, although two samples from one wall has an ever so slight we cardboard smell.

The smell in the room is hard to deacribe, but it's not awful and doesn't smell like a dead animal to me. From reading online, I am thinking there must be a leak or condensation coming from around the window or soffit. Again, the smell is hard to describe, originally it smelled for stale then moldy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ask a Question