Backer board behind direct to stud tub and walls

Reaction score
I'm redoing a bathroom and was wondering if it would hurt anything to put backer board on the walls for the tub and surround from the floor up before installing said tub and surround. The tub and surround are direct-to-stud type. I don't see how it would be any different either way as long as I'm hitting studs when fastening the flanges.

The reason for this is I did a direct-to-stud shower enclosure in another bathroom about 5 years ago and it's noisy as hell when someone is showering and bumping the surround while showering brings people running sometimes thinking someone fell. I'm thinking backer board first to add support across the entire surround surface and can't think of any harm in doing this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In our unfinished tub remodel we did this. Why is it unfinished? Because the wall surrounding doesn’t fit snugly over the lip of the tuba ND I haven’t found how to fill the gaps. I was in favor of this install method because it’s a mobile home andnhad rat activity under the previous tub. My reasoning was that additional drywall would seal up potential access. It has left me scratching my head though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's what I'm thinking. Studs or wall, it's all the same as long as the flange of the tub and the flange of the surround are on surfaces that are flush with each other.
I am interested in knowing how to get the flanges flush on my own project. What would you do?

Ask a Question