New ceiling fan w/light change from remote only to two wall switches

Reaction score
I recently purchased a remote only Hunter Ceiling Fan with light kit. I would like to wire it up so it is controlled by two wall switches and only uses the remote for fan speed.

The fan came with a remote and receiver. No pull chains.

House has Red & Black hot (from two wall switches), white neutral, and ground.

Receiver has Black and white inputs. Black (motor), Blue (light), and white (motor) outputs.

Fan has Black (motor), Blue (light), and white.

Here is my wiring diagram:

House black to fan blue (light)
House red to remote input black
House white to remote input white and fan white
House ground to fan mount ground
Remote out black to fan black (motor)
Remote out white (capped)
Remote out blue (capped)

ASSUMPTION: fan white is a common neutral to motor and light

With this wiring, the fan wall switch works as expected AND speed is controlled by the remote. However, the light wall switch only controls the light if the fan wall switch is on... even if the fan is turned off with the hand held the remote.

Fan Wall Switch -- Light Wall Switch ------- Actual Result ------ Expected Result
---- On -------------------- On ------------- Fan on / Light on ----- Fan on / Light on (success)
---- On -------------------- Off ------------- Fan on / Light off ----- Fan on / Light off (success)
---- Off -------------------- On ------------- Fan off / Light off ----- Fan off / Light on (fail)
---- Off -------------------- Off ------------- Fan off / Light off ----- Fan off / Light off (success)

I have used this wiring scheme with other fans and had no problems. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reaction score
Did these wall switches control a light from two different positions?

Reaction score
Yes. I figured out the problem. The previous owner had the switches wired in series rather than parallel. Which explained why the old fixture was “broken.” Everything works as expected now. Thanks for replying.

Ask a Question