Ceiling fan/light switches

Reaction score
We just bought a house, and the fan light in the master bedroom doesn't work as desired. There are two switches, but the one on the left controls a wall outlet. We want one switch to work the fan and the other to work the light. I pulled out the switches and had planned to move the red wire over to the one on the left, but all the wires got confusing. If I pull the red wire out of the switch on the right and put it where the black wire is on the left, I will then have the fan and light on different switches, right? But then what do I do with the black wire and what do I do with the switch on the right that now only has one wire? I don't need the outlet to be controlled by the switch. I'd actually prefer that the outlet always have power. Apologies for my ignorance. I've installed three lights now, but this is my first time working with a fan light and switches.

Attachments

Reaction score
In order to separate the light and fan at the switch you need to have two switch legs going to the fan. Basically you need to have 3 wire going to the fan (1 black, 1 red, 1 white, 1 ground). If you have this the configuration it is relatively simple. The red wire from the fan will go to the top terminal on one switch ( I usually make this the light control). The black wire from the fan will go to the top terminal of the other switch. The neutral should be tied into the neutral pigtail. To send power to the fan tie a jumper from the feed wire pig tail and attach to the bottom terminals of the switches. Please note that the power into the switch should correspond to the on marking on the switch itself. Simply cap the wires coming from the receptacle and push into the box. You will most likely have to replace the switched receptacle as the tab will be broken to allow one part of the receptacle to have constant power and one side to be switched. Disconnect the wires going to the switch box, cap and push into back of the box. Connect the wires that feed the outlet back to it also making sure to connect wires that are feeding outlets down line of it if present.

I highly recommend that if you are unsure of how to determine what wire goes where that you consult an electrician or have someone with electrical knowledge guide you in person. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you! I ended up having to get a family member who's an electrician to do it. It was way too complicated for me! But now it works as desired!

Ask a Question