Need a good liquid applied Vapor Barrier for Concrete

Reaction score
Hello,

I need a quick recommendation for a good (and not too expensive ) Vapor barrier, or penetrating sealer or Both.

Area to cover is only 12 x 16 or about 200 sq feet. This is indoor room that i am going to redo the floor on - I would like to apply this vapor barrier, but I think I will still apply some sort of 6 mill plastic tarp. ( i will also have to insulate this floor which is 10 inches lower than our currently finished floor. )

I will have to build it up, create a new Floating (or non-floating) insulated floor that will be finished with hardwood floors - to match the current level in the kitchen . Again trying to stop as much of the moisture getting in as possible.

our slap is solid concrete on grade, with good 4 feet footings. This is in Chicago area.

Thank you for any recommendations -

Reaction score
Thank you. I did notice they have that at the orange box store. And even an upgraded extreme version of UGL. Reasonable price as well since I don't need a lot

I also just found out that most of the concrete pad is covered with some green paint from 30 years ago. It's still on there pretty solid. I would just have to redo. Some areas that have bubbled up and flaked off. When I paint over the whole surface that should not use too much product.

I think I still plan to do 6 mil poly on top. Belt and suspenders approach

Thank You

Reaction score
The plastic will become a mold trap. Find a polymer product called redgard in the tile section. Abrade away any paint and ensure a sound surface. If you walk on this surface, the toughness of your membrane becomes an issue. The thick pvc sheet used under tile masonry in a shower give an idea of how robust such a layer needs to be.
download (1).jpeg

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question