My DIY Eng. Harwoods Flooring Job

Reaction score
After reading many sites and posts of buying and installing my own wood flooring, (This site mostly)
to cut to the chase:
-I ended up buying a decent quality 5" x 1/2" Engineered Maple Hardwoods from a flooring distributor - that would also sell retail to DIY'ers like me!
I opted not to go with Big Box store product after reading numerous posts about subpar quality.
-We recently had our bathrooms completely redone, and Porcelin tile in 3 baths, our kitchen and dining area, and front door foyer hall all in Porcelin tile- paid an installer who did an awesome job.
- I/we wanted to transition strips between the Tile and Hardwoods, so I measured and am installing 1/2" BCX over out 3/4" plwood sufloor- for the correct final height of transition only.

- I looked online, and read reviews and Gpot a Freeman combination brad nailer/ stapler- new for just ujnder $100; this gun nails and staples well and has worked flawlessly! I already have a semi large Craftsman air compressor and storage tank.
- I also used the AquaBar 'B' underlayment! I also read about online- I had to order from HD.

The install is going well

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
A few months ago, I completed the ground floor and upstairs too- ~ 1200 Sq/ft of flooring, came out great.

Then, I ripped the carpet and pad off the stairs from the ground flloor, and just as I expected- it has wood under there too, with the rounded edges, etc.

So, I sanded the builders paint splash off of the wood, and used a dark 'stain and seal'- water based.
Came out awesome!

all prepped:

In progress:

all done:

Having done all this and turning out so well, I feel like a pro now!

Reaction score
I also caulked all my transition gaps:

As I planned, by raising everything 1/2" with a another layer of BCX solely to bring it up to the level of my tile,
there are no 'transition height' differences!

So, what do ya think about my work on my home?

Ask a Question