Help - Extending main BT socket

Reaction score
Hi All

I want to move the main BT socket in my house ie extend the cable that comes from outside the house and connects to the main/first BT socket.

Is this possible without degradation of signal? If so it would be great if you could specify what connecting/extending gear I need to do this.

Many thanks

Rich

Reaction score
I assume you're doing this to get a broadband router close to the box?

In any case the main line socket belongs to BT and should really be left alone. It would be easier to go from the extension connector inside the line box and take a socket to where you need, this can be done in solid 4 core and should result in virtually no degradation of signal. There are 6 positions of the connector but only lines 2-5 are used (you can actually run most modern phones from 2 wires, but some need the earth loop recall feature, which I think uses wire 3)

If it is for broadband you may be better putting the router by the socket and then wire RJ-45 sockets to where you need them. You can go 100m in CAT5 cable with no problem.

Ask a Question