Help with Door Transition

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm new here, but not sure whether this best fits in flooring or doors.

I am a new homeowner. We have a door that goes from the house to the garage, with one step down. There is a stainless transition of some kind that was squeaking like crazy. Based on some suggestions I got elsewhere, I unscrewed the part that was screwed on, pried up the metal step and put a little foam underneath. That worked GREAT to stop the squeaking. However, when I went to screw the metal strip back on, the screws are stripped.

OK, no problem, I thought, they look like simple flat-head Phillips machine screws. I'll just replace the screws. Unfortunately, on the underside of the metal strip the screws have been crimped in place. Not sure if that was how it came or someone was just winging it. I've tried to find a matching strip, but I can't seem to find anything like it anywhere. I don't even know what this thing is called. This strip is almost rectangular, having three of the four sides.

Any suggestions for how I can either replace the stripped screws, find a replacement strip, or in general solve this problem. To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what purpose the strip is serving, other than perhaps to close the gap between the floor and the bottom of the door.

When responding, please bear in mind my /home improvement skill/experience is like a 2 out of 10. :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

Ask a Question