Help with door colouring

Reaction score
h there
i have just finished renovating door in the pictures as my kids had pulled the handle off and as the door is made of cardboard i could no longer screw the handle on, i managed to graft a peice into the door with some succes however as you can see from the pictures the patch and surronding area reall now stands out, i have used liberon finishing for the doors as this is what they had on them, is there anyway that i can blend the wood into the rest of the door, as a new door is around £160
thanks for your help
Ivan

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi there
Thanks for the quick reply unfortunately I have re painted the whole door, do you think I will need sand back the whole panel to be able to get a match

Reaction score
It looks a bit strange.
The bit you've replaced seems to match the rest of the door but the areas above and below it look a darker colour and seems more shiny. Try rubbing that area down first and see what it looks like. Without wishing to give offence, you're a bit like me, in that you want things "to be right" when in reality, it isn't that important.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks once again for the reply, I think the pics don’t really show well the problem in fact the bit I replaced is much darker then the rest of the door hence thinking I may need to sand that section,
Thanks again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You've made a very neat job of the patch Ivan. :)

The only way to hide the repair is as Doghouse suggests and paint the whole door after first sanding it smooth but not with a clear finish because the patch will still be highly visible; it needs hiding. It needs painting with a base coat of colour which will obliterate the entire grain making the whole door one colour then the finish can be applied.

There are many YouTube videos the one shown above just as an example; with a bit of practice you could get a very near match to the original finish; this should completely hide the repair. Have a look on YouTube for ideas?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
thanks Colin
The door has an oak veneer so does that mean I should paint the whole door with a base coat of Oak colour/wood dye, and then once dry finish with finishing oil or Danish oil to retain the colour of the door
thanks once again for your help
Ivan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Unfortunately Ivan you've got a very difficult job with this because such repairs involve a high degree of skill. As I said previously you've made an excellent job installing the new patch but please stand back and look at what is wrong with it.

Two things; the joints stand out a mile as does the mismatch of the grain; no amount of wood dye or wood stain will hide either of these faults.

A highly skilled person could paint with a base coat colour (paint not stain;dye or varnish) the paint then would completely hide the poor grain match and from there use more colours of paint in order to create a proper grain match then the patch would be blended in.

Oak colour wood dye is not paint and won't help at all because the joints and mismatch grain will still be highly visible; paint is the material used for painting things like window frames and skirting boards; it is a solid colour and will hide everything covered by it; you can apply white paint to a black door and you will then have a white door. Paint and stains are totally different.

This is a very difficult subject and although I always encourage anyone to have a go I think perhaps you need to do a lot of research on the web looking at finishing because it involves so many skills.

40 years ago I changed our white painted bay window on the inside using Scumble and a brush to give an oak appearance and then varnished over the top; it looked excellent but I did lots of research first; please browse the web and YouTube looking for "Graining".

One option to save you lots of frustration would be to simply cover the patch with a brass finger plate and you could make such a plate to a suitable size; a brass plate would look much better than the way your door looks at the moment; brass can be varnished.

Got to go but just a few ideas for you to think over; no DIY'er will find your problem easy to resolve so don't think you are missing something.

Years ago I did a cabinet repair on a vintage radio where a piece of Burr veneer was missing; I'll try to find pictures and post them but am out of time tonight.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
hi Colin
Thanks once again for your words of wisdom a lot to think about, I will have a look at YouTube
Ivan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome Ivan. :)

Above is an excellent video showing how to apply fake oak to a panel. This takes a lot of practice and as with your door there is no quick easy fix unless you simply paint the door with coloured paint. For a door that is used a lot I would recommend Polyurethane Matt Varnish as the finish coat but a full sized door is very ambitious for a novice to have a go at.

I previously mentioned finger plates and a suitably sized finger plate would save you endless frustration in fact you could make your own finger plate from a piece of brass sheet. I enjoy both wood and metal work so a project like this would be interesting to me.

When I left school Ivan at the age of 15 in 1962 I failed my woodworking exam and I detested woodworking in fact I never liked my bully of a woodwork teacher. When Bron and I married in 1976 we took out a mortgage on a stone built semi detached house borrowing our absolute limit; the building society retained some of the money until we replaced rotten timber to the frames of the bay window; unable to borrow money for new window frames I painstakingly removed the leaded glass then chopped out using hammer and wood chisel the rotten sections of frame and let in new timber then finished it with paint; this was passed by the building society inspector and the money was released; so Ivan I was introduced to woodworking out of desperation but suddenly my efforts were much admired by family and friends giving me such a powerful feeling of satisfaction and pride in a job well done. From then on I started to really enjoy woodworking and quickly moved on to making a veneered 8' long sideboard; my enthusiasm by now knew no limits and I still love all kinds of woodworking having made lots of fitted and free standing furniture; veneering; woodturning and French Polishing I can now do but I sure made lots of mistakes because I'm entirely self taught unlike now when YouTube is so brilliant.

I started restoring vintage radios as an hobby being a total novice and having to learn the hard way; after ten years of practice I can now restore any vintage radio both the chassis and cabinet; below is one which might be of interest to you because the cabinet had a missing piece of burr veneer; no way could I ever buy and insert a matching bit of veneer so I experimented; I'm hopelessly colour blind and spent an entire day struggling mixing artists paints before stumbling upon a new colour match; Bron kindly offered to do the colouring for me but I'm as stubborn as they come and was determined to succeed however long it took me.

This is a 1931 Ultra Tiger Radiogram; one of the legs was very loose and it needed a full and comprehensive makeover; I completely stripped the original finish to bare veneer and French Polished it; I also completely stripped the chassis and rebuilt it now it not only still looks good it works.

It's still raining outside so I'm happy to spend a bit of time trying to encourage others to have a go when so many would give up and say "I can't do that". I've heard just about every excuse over the years as to why friends and visitors who see work Bron and I have carried out say they cannot do similar work; no tools; no time; no skills; no patience; no space etc; we don't ask people to copy us it's just remarks we seem to attract; I wasn't born with skills or a fully equipped workshop and we started off very poor indeed with a huge mortgage.

Take your time Ivan and look at lots of options available to you; this problem you have might only appear to be a simple repair patch but it's far from that and involves quite a few specialized skills which aren't grasped overnight; never be afraid of failure or you'll never do anything of use. If only it would stop raining I want to install two outside 13A double sockets.

Good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ultra Tiger_004.JPG

Missing piece of burr veneer; this immediately drawing the eye to it.

Ultra Tiger_005.JPG

After lots of thought this is what I decided to do. Taped and filler added.

Ultra Tiger_006.JPG

The filler very carefully brought flush taking lots of time not to sand right through to the substrate.

Ultra Tiger_007.JPG

If I didn't tell you would you notice the repair?

Ultra Tiger_001.JPG

The cabinet completely stripped of original finish. Not a job for a novice.

Ultra Tiger_002.JPG

The loose leg being repaired.

Ultra Tiger_003.JPG

The loose leg removed allowing the entire joint to be cleaned then the leg and a new securing block were glued in with hot hide glue.

Ultra Tiger_008.JPG

The pictures don't do it justice; the veneers are beautiful; fully French polished.

Ultra Tiger_009.JPG

In all its glory now fully restored and we still have this radiogram. I'm completely self taught and still make many mistakes; but I don't see problems I see projects. I enjoy leaving my comfort zone to try something totally new; years ago I removed "t" from can't so now I can and so can anyone who really wants to have a go. Since starting this message; Argos has delivered two garden chairs; BT have phoned twice with an automated message about texts; we're not with BT and I don't know how to text so BT are now blocked and the postman has just delivered yet more junk mail. I might have mentioned I tend to ramble on a bit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question