Cheap roof ideas for hot tub area help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have this area in our garden big enough for a hot tub so we bought one. We nailed the canvas covering to keep the area dry, obviously when it rains the canvas saggs and when there are gales the canvas rips off around where it's nailed down. What would be a cheap, sturdy and water drainage way to cover this area? I'm useless at DIY so any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
You can either place a gazebo there, pole in the middle to prop it up or a plank of wood propped up across the two fences, along the middle of the canvas so it stops water collecing in the middle of the canvas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could get a 'Banana parasol'. they are available in lots of sizes and prices, new and used. If you do get one, don't purchase the base weights, buy 2' x 2' concrete slabs. They will be a fraction of the price.

Reaction score
I hope you don't get a repeat of October 1987 hurricane or the whole lot could end up over the fence and into the woods.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have this area in our garden big enough for a hot tub so we bought one. We nailed the canvas covering to keep the area dry, obviously when it rains the canvas sags and when there are gales the canvas rips off around where it's nailed down. What would be a cheap, sturdy and water drainage way to cover this area? I'm useless at DIY so any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Well, it seems easy enough. To address the belly full of water, you need to peak it in the centre. This can be inexpensively achieved with some scrap 2 x 4's. Don't be tempted to put one 2 x 4 in the center. No point damaging your expensive tub, rather, screw a length across the centrelines of the tub, the deck rail will support that on three sides then cut a leg or two for the open side, next attach something domed to the centre of the x, that won't tear through. I'm thinking an old padded seat (pillow Form) or two stacked up, or some scrap styrofoam where youve shaved it into a dome shape. It doesn't take much doming or much height to get water to run. Then when you are tacking down your tarp, take a stick (sliced off a scrap 2x4 the length of your railings. Roll it into the edge of the trap as much as you can. Then tack it to your railings and to the front 2x4 you just cut. Make sure you pull it tight or water will collect again in the loosest lowest part of the canvas, 2 people is best for This spreads the wind force over the entire stick instead of just on the tiny nail heads, and the rolled up tarp also makes it way harder to tear away. Now in a hurricane or tornado, all bets are off. Like the previous poster said the tarp will be in the neighbors yard, but so wlll the Hot tub and the deck. Let's hope not. But for regular weather, you had the right idea, just need to make it stronger and more efficient. This should do the trick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant, thanks all for the suggestions. I know which way to go now. Fingers crossed there's no hurricanes brewing

Ask a Question