Hanging a blind

Reaction score
I am trying to simply drill into a wall, place rawplugs in and hang the blind.Problem: there is around half an inch only of concrete, then steel. The two holes at either end of the blind are only one centimeter apart, and as soon as I attempted to put in a screw, the cement simply fell apart, meaning a gaping one inch hole. I pointlessly tried 5 inches above, but there is simply no purchase available. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I am trying to simply drill into a wall, place rawplugs in and hang the blind.Problem: there is around half an inch only of concrete, then steel. The two holes at either end of the blind are only one centimeter apart, and as soon as I attempted to put in a screw, the cement simply fell apart, meaning a gaping one inch hole. I pointlessly tried 5 inches above, but there is simply no purchase available. Any ideas?
Are you sure it's cement or concrete (you mentioned both) and not plaster?

When you say steel, is it just a normal window lintel?

You can usually drill Catnic ones. Use some longer self-tapping screws and fill round them with Polyfilla.

Alternatively, make the area where you want to drill, bigger at least 2" X 2" and fill with Polyfilla and smooth it off. When dry it'll take being drilled, plugs and screws and support the weight of a blind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question