Hanging things from a brick ceiling

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I have a brick ceiling, as you can see in the photo. More specifically, it is a ceiling of shallow vaults of brick and mortar, held up by steel girders. I want to hang stuff from the ceiling, namely some rectangular bass traps (probably the GIK Acoustics 244 model) and possibly a video projector too. Is this possible? If so, how should I do it? Is it just a question of drilling a hole and putting a plug and screw into it like I would if I were mounting something on the wall? The sales advisor from GIK Acoustics seems to think it would work, but he wasn’t absolutely 100% certain, and I want to avoid even the smallest risk of having heavy objects drop on peoples’ heads.

To give a bit more detail, the bass traps would weigh around 11 kg each and be suspended by four cables, so around 3 kg per cable.
999E3B32-6EDF-4EB1-AD14-A856C8026503.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chemical anchors may be more secure than rawlplugs, but I am not sure whether bricks could take the chemical - it may seep out into the mortar before it has set. There are many types available but Hilti Hit is widely used in industry for mounting on concrete ceilings as well as brick and block walls and should be viscous enough to not seep out, but again, check with the supplier for suitability. Expensive though if you have to buy the whole kit.
A better idea would be to drill and tap the steel beams and use 10 or 12mm bolts, or if they are I-beams you may be able to get a nut and bolt through the flat sections. Unistrut would be ideal in this situation, as you can move stuff around if you find that the screen or speakers are not in the best place. Again, if you can get at the flat bit of the I-beam it should be easy enough to fix mounting clips for Unistrut. Another quite expensive option though.

Ask a Question