Floorboard Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help me, it would be much appreciated.

When walking upstairs my floorboards in a couple of rooms (not all) are very noisy, I peeled back my carpet and added some screws close to the existing nails (Spax 5.5 x 60) but it doesn't appear to have made any difference. :(

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the noise is at it's worse the first time I walk on them in the morning. It's also not a squeaking noise and more of a crack or pop, almost like the floorboards clicking into position. Generally it won't then do it much for the remainder of the day.

Any help is appreciated, I can take up the carpet but do have hardwood skirting fitted and would be reluctant to remove those.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My house is 65yrs old now, and it does the same thing. It too cracks in the morning, quiets down more as it's walked on through-out the day.

I have 3/4" tongue & groove for the subfloor, with 3/4" solid oak hardwood. It is my belief there is nothing that can be done.....within reason, that is. I've tried a few things over the years, no measurable success. Short of pulling everything up (including subfloor), and re-screwing (with sub-floor adhesive, PL400), I just "live with it".

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated. I’m kind of out of idea although I haven’t taken any floorboards up to have a look underneath yet.

The room doesn’t have my furniture in it yet (being delivered in the new year) so not sure if the weight on the floor will help at all.

Ask a Question