Sanding, painting/staining & sealing chip/fiber floorboards..?

Reaction score
I've recently had to rip up & discard a bedroom carpet.

I can't afford replacement floor covering atm as money is extremely tight, was wondering if it would be viable to sand the floor (not sure what type of board the floor is) and then apply a stain or paint finish & sealant..?
On the whole the floor seems in relatively good condition, there's gaps between the boards & some of them are slightly raised, there's quite a few nail/staple holes (presumably these can be easily filled?) & quite a few paint stains etc.

Is it worth the time, effort, money to do this & can decent results be achieved or should I just wait until I can afford some carpet etc..?

Thanks.

Reaction score
As you explained the situation of your floor i will suggest you just maintain the floor by minor repair and wait for money to afford a carpet because if you repaired properly you will need a good amount of money.

Reaction score
Hi
Sorry, I didn't spot your post before.
It's quite possible to sand and varnish a floor, but it takes a lot of work, and then there's the cost of the hire of a floor sander, with all that goes with it. Don't forget that sanding does reduce the thickness of the boards

Would it be more sensible to get the cheapest bit of foam back carpet you can, and lay it yourself.

Ask a Question