Creaking floorboards under carpet

Reaction score
Evening people, hope you're all good

I recently had carpets fitted in my house. Unfortunately, there are some creaking floorboards in several spots upstairs. It is getting rather annoying so I was wondering if there is a way to remedy the situation without having the rip up the carpet? Many thanks in advance for your help..

Reaction score
Evening people, hope you're all good

I recently had carpets fitted in my house. Unfortunately, there are some creaking floorboards in several spots upstairs. It is getting rather annoying so I was wondering if there is a way to remedy the situation without having the rip up the carpet? Many thanks in advance for your help..

The short answer is no.

Unless you can get under the floorboards.as we can with our ground floor as the houses in our road are bulit on concrete rafts and there's an eighteen inch crawlspace underneath. I did ours years ago with my wife standing on the squeeky bits and me under the floor wedging the offending ones. If you're ever having new carpet fitted, rip the old ones up yourself the day before the fitters arrive and fix them. I aso laid hardboard sheets in every room over the floorboards, so all our carpets are competely flat.

Reaction score
I once remedied this problem with some drywall screws and a whole lot of luck. I did some careful measuring from the wall to the squeak to figure out where the floor joists should be. Fortunately I had very thick carpet and was able to drive screws through it and then pull the base fabric back together. A spot of glue on the affected fabric and a little massaging of the carpet and it was as good as new.

Ask a Question