new laminate flooring creaking mysterious

Reaction score
New 12mm armstrong illusions laminate just installed on concrete. Creaks EVERYWHERE.

Installers leveled the floor; floor looked very level to me while it was drying. Even if there are places that weren't leveled exactly right, that wouldn't explain why it everywhere else. Underlayment seems ok quality... 2mm green foam with foil moisture barrier. Foam feels stiff enough to me. Good ~1/4" gap everywhere.

Compared to my previous house where I put in laminate myself, this armstrong stuff doesn't "snap" together, it just kind of lays together with no wedging. Takes zero effort to take 2 pieces apart. Could that be the problem? That the flooring has a poor lock mechanism?

Trim not installed yet. I've only paid 30% so far. But I'm a pretty stand up guy and won't screw over the installer if the product I told them I wanted is junk.. what to do?

Thanks for help!

Update - found out it is defective flooring =(
ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg0116115722924.html?12577

Last edited:

Ask a Question