Spongy Laminate Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for viewing my post.

I've laid down laminate flooring on a uneven subfloor. (sub floor, Underlay, laminate)

its become spongy (all over) and we can hear the floorboard while walking on them. like a boom of air when stepped on.

I know now that an uneven floor would do something like this. but at the time I didn't. Problems with first time (house) buyers and being strapped for cash.

We cant afford to have it taken up and the subfloor fix.

what could be our solutions? We dont mind getting a expert round to do the job but im hoping he/she could do something like one of the following.

drill a whole and use expanding foam

or

drill all the boards and use a screw with removable head to secure it down.

I dont know what im talking about so please be kind, but would any of these ideas work?

any other advice would be amazing

thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know your not going to want to hear this, but with the problem your having with the whole floor being spongy, expanding foam isn't going to work and the idea of screwing down planks to an uneven floor is only going to give you uneven planks. Wished i had a magical fix but to do this right the floor you laid down will have to come up and at that point we'll have to eliminate joist problems, if that's ok now we'll have to check for loose or rotten boards, tighten, repair or replace as needed, Now you could lay your paneling again but i would highly recommend at least a 1/2 in plywood covering to get everything back to a flat and level surface then come back with your flooring, Now keep in mind if you do use the plywood you'll be needing a transition strip from the floors going into the kitchen. Also did you leave that 3/16 or 1/4 along the edges for expansion and contraction i had one friend who butted the flooring tight against the walls all the way around, then when things warmed up it would lift. This was the first thing i thought of when i read your post but if you were able to see the floor being uneven before ya started so that knocked that out... when you get it fixed send us a picture on here we'd love seeing them.. Good Luck!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the information. I was kinda expecting that. I've got a guy coming round to look at it but by the looks of it. he'll want to take the floor up.

its such a stupid little thing as well. the floors are fine. it just wobbles stuff when walking on it. kinda feels like walking on egg shells.

diy isnt for me haha

Ask a Question